In the summer of 2023, the Thirty-Fourth General Synod of the United Church of Christ will meet in Indianapolis, Indiana. Break The Silence Sunday (BTSS) needs to be there, and to do that we need your help.
We need to be at General Synod to:
- to be a visible presence of survivors in the life of the church – we are here, part of every congregation and community and are in need of the vocal witness of the church to support our healing and wholeness;
- to provide space for survivors to tell their stories without judgement and to have those stories honored through the work of BTSS’s project – Strings of Strength – that provides comfort items to survivors.
- bring the work and witness of BTSS to more communities and congregations;
- remind the national church of it’s commitment at General Synod 32 in Milwaukee where it overwhelmingly approved BTSS as an observance of the entire church;
- to increase and expand our writer’s pool to reflect the great diversity of God’s people.
Our fundraising goal is $5000 which will provide:
- Travel to and from Indianapolis for the BTSS team (2 people);
- Housing & food during Synod
- Booth space for BTSS in the exhibits hall
- Promotional materials for BTSS
And how, you wonder, will be find $5000?
Through Silver For Survivors.
There are 575 days between 11/4/2021 and 5/31/2023.
We invite you to consider saving a silver coin every day to help the work of BTSS.
Silver dollar a day … $575
Half dollar a day … $287.50
Quarter a day … $143.75
Dime a day … $57.50
Nickel a day … $28.75
Of course, these are symbolic donations and we would welcome your gift at any level to help us continue to reach out to survivors, and to make our presence in the church visible, to remind the church of its sacred calling to support survivors.
Donations can be made:
Through our PayPal and Venmo accounts at:
By mail: checks to Break The Silence Sunday
c/o Moira Finley
PO Box 691
Bonduel, WI 54107
Questions? Concerns? Other ideas?
Pastor Moira Finley at either email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Survivor and need to reach out?
Pastor Moira Finley at 715-851-3080 or email@example.com
Need immediate help?
Rape Abuse Incest National Network (RAINN) at 800-656-4673
or online at rainn.org for live chat and 24/7 assistance
P.S. If you’re wondering why start this today, November 4, 2021? A year ago the world lost one of the brightest lights and bravest survivors I’ve ever known, my friend Gwen. It seemed a fitting tribute to her life and legacy, and to the trust she placed in me to carry on the work of supporting survivors, to begin this campaign on the anniversary of her walking on to life eternal. She is dearly missed and I hope I am doing well by her in continuing the work she taught me about, the work of being as unashamed a survivor in this world as I’m capable of, and by being a life line for others.